Are you struggling to get a good night’s sleep on your current mattress? You may need to replace your mattress topper. Getting a new mattress topper is a great way to refresh your sleep and improve your nighttime experience. However, you will need to choose between a soft mattress topper and a firm mattress topper. Here are some of the pros and cons of the different types of mattress toppers.
What Should You Consider Before Buying a Mattress Topper?
Before choosing between a soft and firm mattress topper, you will need to consider your personal needs and sleeping style. If you have a partner that you share your bed with, you will need to consider his or her needs along with your own.
Consider the following questions before making your mattress topper purchase:
- Do you experience back pain, arthritis, neck pain, or spinal cord issues?
- Do you suffer from sleep apnea or breathing issues?
- Do you experience muscle aches, pains, and strains?
- Does your bed get too hot at night, increasing your sweating?
- Does your partner toss and turn at night, affecting your sleep? You may have different comfort preferences.
- Do you enjoy softer mattresses or more firm mattresses? Which type does your partner prefer?
Pros and Cons of Soft Mattress Toppers
Soft mattress toppers are less dense than firm mattress toppers and provide a soft, cozy, and comfortable surface to sleep on. Soft mattress toppers provide a more cradling effect than firm mattress toppers. They adjust to the surface of your mattress and the curves of your body for a relaxing effect.
Some of the pros of soft mattress toppers include the following:
- Soft mattress toppers can provide pain relief for those with muscle pain and stiffness, chronic fatigue, or people who get tired very easily. The cradling effect of the soft mattress topper can help relax muscles.
- Soft mattress toppers provide additional comfort to people who want a relaxing nights’ sleep.
- If you have a very firm mattress, soft mattress toppers can add additional cushioning.
- Soft mattress toppers are easy to maintain and lightweight, making them simple to clean and transport.
However, no mattress topper is perfect. Soft mattress toppers are not appropriate for users with certain medical conditions and needs.
Some downsides to soft mattress toppers include the following qualities:
- Soft mattress toppers do not provide adequate body support, which is important for people with spinal cord issues, backbone problems, back pain, and arthritis. If you suffer from any of these conditions, do not opt for a soft topper.
- Soft mattress toppers become flat very quickly.
- Soft mattress toppers can increase the body temperature of the bed.
- Because of increased body temperature, soft mattress toppers can increase skin allergies for sensitive sleepers.
Pros and Cons of Firm Mattress Toppers
A firm mattress topper lifts and supports the body without being stiff. It is a supportive layer that keeps your body in a straight, natural position to avoid aching muscles in the morning. Firm mattress toppers are heavier and denser than soft mattress toppers.
Some pros of firm mattress toppers include:
- If you have arthritis, back pain, neck pain, or spinal cord issues, a firm mattress topper can help keep your body in the right alignment and reduce pain.
- Firm mattress toppers can also help reduce sleep apnea and breathing issues.
- Firm mattress toppers help reduce body temperature during the night.
- Firm mattress toppers last longer.
Some cons of firm mattress toppers include the following:
- If you have muscle issues and pains, firm mattress toppers can increase your muscle pains.
- Firm mattress toppers are heavier than soft mattress toppers.
- Firm mattress toppers can be more difficult to clean.
- Firm mattress toppers are not very cozy.
Choose a Mattress Topper that is Both Soft and Firm
Do you want to combine the best of both soft and firm mattress toppers? Choose an Intellibed mattress and mattress topper. Our patented Gel Matrix technology provides better support to your back and spine with the soft, cradling comfort of a soft mattress topper. Only Intellibed mattresses are firm and soft at the same time, giving your body the support and the comfort it needs. If you have a partner with different comfort preferences, an Intellibed mattress and mattress topper can provide an easy compromise.
Purchase your Intellibed mattress topper today and receive the best of both worlds for your good night’s sleep!